NYSCF Announces 2014 Class of NYSCF – Druckenmiller Fellows
NYSCF welcomed the 2014 class of NYSCF – Druckenmiller Postdoctoral Fellows at a reception at the Asia Society. These seven exceptional scientists work in stem cell research areas from cancer development to understanding diseases such as Alzheimer's and multiple sclerosis and will continue to add to the success and prestige of the program. As the future scientific leaders of tomorrow, NYSCF is more than happy to welcome them into the NYSCF community.
The new fellows are:
– Dr. Zhongwei Cao, who will be working on understanding why lymphoma cells are resistant to chemotherapy at Weill Cornell Medical College.
– Dr. Panos Douvaras, who will be working on understanding multiple sclerosis using patient-specific cells at the New York Stem Cell Foundation Research Institute.
– Dr. Alexandre Gaspar Maia, who will be working on understanding cellular reprogramming and cancer progression at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
– Dr. Bjarki Johannesson, who will be using stem cells to understand type 1 diabetes at the New York Stem Cell Foundation Research Institute.
– Dr. Maltane Ortiz-Virumbrales, who will be exploring effective personalized treatments for Alzheimer’s disease at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
– Dr. Dominik Paquet, who will be working on understanding the molecular mechanisms of nerve cell degeneration in Alzheimer’s disease at The Rockefeller University.
– Dr. Maria Themeli, who will be using stem cells to generate cancer fighting T cells at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.